The Department of Otorhinolaryngology (ENT) and Head and Neck surgery at Columbia Asia Hospitals offer comprehensive solutions to patients with ear, nose and throat problems. The department is well equipped with the latest equipment to treat ENT problems among paediatric and adult population on emergency or routine basis. Our ENT surgeons trained in some of the best institutes in India and abroad and offer treatment in line with international protocols. We pride ourselves on evidence based medical practice.
The hospital offers cochlear implants, which is a surgically implanted electronic device that enables hearing in those who are profoundly deaf. The cochlear implant team assesses the patients to determine the fitness for cochlear implants based on the person’s history, cause of hearing loss, amount of residual hearing, speech recognition ability, health status and family commitment to rehabilitation of the patient.
The focus of the department is to manage patients needing procedures with minimal hospital stay, as day-care. Many of the surgeries are offered as minimally invasive surgeries that are less painful and patient can resume normal activities soon.
The department has a well-trained audiologist / speech therapist to handle diagnostic audiology and provide speech therapy to paediatric and adult patients.
All babies born at Columbia Asia Hospital, Whitefield mandatorily undergo test for hearing defects, so that it can be diagnosed and corrected early.
- Headache clinic
- Vertigo clinic
- Head and neck cancer detection clinics
- Hearing screening
- Snoring clinic
Treatments and Procedures
- Pure tone audiometry
- Impedance audiometry
- Speech audiometry
- Special audiometry
- Brainstem evoked response audiometry (BERA)
- Screening of infant hearing – OAE
- Speech laboratory
- Diagnosis and treatment of speech disorders
- Hearing aids
- Trial, distribution and service
- Sleep laboratory (digital polysomnography)
- Diagnosis and treatment of snoring and sleep apnoea syndrome
- Allergy clinic and immunotherapy
Micro ear surgery
Done for very small structures in the ear. These are minimally invasive procedures and are performed with an operating microscope.
- Impaired hearing / deafness
- Discharging ear
- Facial paralysis
Cochlear implants and BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid)
Done to restore hearing in the profoundly deaf patients by surgically implanting an electronic device.
Endoscopic nasal / sinus surgeries
- FESS (functional endoscopic sinus surgery)
- Chronic sinusitis
- Allergic sino-nasal polyposis
- Fungal sinusitis / granulomas
- Pediatric sinusitis / polyposis
- Balloon sinusoplasty
Advanced endoscopic surgeries
- CSF rhinorrhea
- Thyroid orbitopathy
- Optic nerve decompression
- Anterior skull base tumours
Septo-rhinoplasty (cosmetic surgery of the nose)
Done for correction and restructuring, restoring functions and aesthetically enhancing the nose. This procedure is done for trauma, congenital defects and respiratory impediment.
Laser assisted surgeries
- Tympanoplasty (ear drum surgeries)
- UPPP (uvulopalatopharyngoplasty) for snoring
Micro laryngeal surgeries
- Vocal nodules and polyps
- Voice disorders
- Thyroplasty for vocal cord palsy
Surgery done for head and neck cancers
Where several specialties work with the ENT surgeon for treatment of:
- Head and neck cancer management
- All forms of surgery on the thyroid gland
- Surgery for salivary gland pathology
- Skull base tumours
- Microtia repairs
- Management of nasal allergy
- Laryngo tracheal stenosis