The Department of Neurosurgery at Columbia Asia Hospitals has a team of highly qualified and experienced neurosurgeons whose capabilities include a variety of neurosurgery procedures and comprehensive management of diseases and disorders of the brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves. They form an integral part of trauma team of the hospitals. The department aims at excellence in neurosurgical care through the practice of evidence-based medicine and treatment according to international protocols.
The consultants in the department have the expertise in the various aspects of modern neurosurgery including cerebrovascular surgery, interventional neurosurgery, endoscopic neurosurgery, minimally invasive neurosurgery, stereotaxic neurosurgery etc.
Columbia Asia Hospitals are among the few centres in India to have innovative and latest management techniques for diseases like epilepsy and Parkinson’s diseases. One such expertise is the DBS technique for management of some neurological disorders. The hospital has a comprehensive team of super specialists in neurosurgery, neurology and other associated disciplines, who manage complex cases with an integrated approach.
The department strives to provide comprehensive care for all patients with brain and spinal problems.
Why Columbia Asia India
- Experienced team of professionals, including a specialist neurologist (movement disorder specialist), specialist neurosurgeon, neuroradiologist, interventional neurologist, physiotherapist, dietary specialists and specially trained nursing personnel, who provide high-quality care.
- Consultants who are trained and highly experienced in epilepsy surgeries and neuromodulation techniques
- State-of-the-art operation theatre with modern equipment like:
- Operating microscope – Zeiss Pentero & Opmi Vario
- Storz spinal endoscope
- Leksell steriotaxic apparatus
- Neurosurgical intensive care unit (ICU)
- Radiology department is equipped with digital x-ray, 64 slice CT, 1.5 T MRI, ultrasound and doppler
- Fully equipped cath lab for interventional neurosurgery procedures
Treatments and Procedures
Comprehensive neuro-trauma care
- Surgical and ICU management of all head injuries
- Management of all types of spinal injuries
- Neuro and spinal rehabilitation
Surgery for all types of brain tumours
Radical excision of all types of brain tumours including:
- Cerebello-pontine angle tumours
- Posterior fossa tumours
- Intraventricular tumours
- Pituitary tumours
Cerebrovascular surgery is a procedure done for disorders of the blood vessels of the brain. All types of cerebrovascular surgical problems are addressed.
- Carotid endartectomy
- Cerebral aneursmal surgery
- Arterio venous malformation (AVM) excision
- Superficial temporal artery middle cerebral artery (ST-MC bypass)
Skull base surgery
Skull base surgery is a multi-speciality surgical exercise and requires a team approach.
- Surgical excision of skull base tumours
- Cranio facial resection
- Cerebro spinal fluid (CSF) leak repair
Minimally invasive spinal surgery
- Cervical disc surgery – anterior and posterior
- Cervical arthroplasty (artificial disc replacement)
- Microscopic lumbar discectomy
- Spinal stabilisation and instrumentation
- Spinal cord tumours
- Surgery for infections
- Correction of kyphosis and scoliosis, which are curvature disorders of the spine
- Surgery for removal of intraventricular tumours
- Surgery for obstructive hydrocephalus – endoscopic third ventriculostomy
- Endoscopic discectomy
- Endoscopic pituitary surgery
Neurosurgery on children is a specialised field and requires skill and experience.
- Shunt surgery
- Surgery for spinal dysraphism
Vascular neurosurgery is surgery on the blood vessels of the brain.
- Carotid endarterectomy
- External carotid-internal carotid bypass surgery
- Aneurysmal surgery
- Arteriovenous malformations
Also known as 'endovascular surgery', it is a recently evolved method of treating cerebrovascular problems through the endovascular route.
- Coiling of aneurysm
- Arterio venous malformation (AVM) embolisation
- Diagnostic angiograms and intraoperative angiograms
Various surgeries like:
- Epilepsy surgery
- Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease
- Surgery for relief for chronic pain