The Department of Paediatric Surgery at Columbia Asia Hospitals is committed to providing surgical care, ranging from minor to life-threatening problems. The focus is on evidence-based comprehensive healthcare for all neonates and children requiring elective or emergency surgery. The department has performed a significant number of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) procedures for children with empyema. The surgeon is available round-the-clock to provide emergency services like foreign body removal and trauma care.
Minimal invasive surgery that includes laparoscopic, thoracoscopic, endoscopic procedures such as bronchoscopy, oesophagoscopy and image guided procedures is the hallmark of the department. Whenever possible, single port is used for laparoscopic surgeries to minimise scarring and enable faster recovery. Presence of a neonatal and paediatric intensive care unit (NICU and PICU) enables the surgeons to take care of children with complex surgical problems. In such situations, the care plan is done in consultation with the paediatric or neonatal intensivists. Most of the routine surgeries are done as day-care procedures.
Treatments and Procedures
- 24-hour emergency services for children
- Major reconstructive genitourinary surgery for newborn and children
- Laparoscopic and single incision laparoscopic surgery (SILS)
- Video assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS )
- Paediatric liver surgery like Kasai procedure or transplantation
- Paediatric surgical oncology services
- Prenatal counselling and advice for expectant parents
- Paediatric trauma services
- Paediatric anaesthesia
- Minor procedures done under procedural sedation in the emergency room
- Surgery for congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH)
- Surgery for malrotation and volvulus
- Surgical and non-surgical treatment of intussusception