The Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery offers correction or restoration of form and function of a part of the body, where the defect may be the result of a congenital abnormality, an accident, a disease or an aging process. The department routinely performs many types of reconstructive surgeries such as hand surgery, microsurgery and treatment of burns. The consultants also perform cosmetic and aesthetic surgeries like rhinoplasty, breast augmentation, liposuction, facial implants and jaw correction surgeries.
The plastic surgery team is a valuable part of the trauma team at the hospital and helps the other surgeons in performing corrective surgeries for patients who have sustained significant disfiguring injuries, including burns. The surgeons also perform surgeries for congenital defects like cleft palates or cleft lips, microtia or absent ear, facial clefts / colobomas and congenital hand anomalies. They also perform micro-vascular surgeries which include limb and digital re-implantations and repair of nerve injuries. The department is well supported by physiotherapists and occupational therapists to provide post surgical care that improves the functional outcome of the patient.
Treatments and Procedures
- Reconstructive micro-vascular surgeries
- Burn reconstruction
- Surgery for maxillo–facial injuries
- Treatment of congenital abnormalities
- Surgeries for haemangiomas and vascular malformations involving face, neck, trunk and extremities
- Hand reconstruction surgeries
- Surgeries for carpal tunnel release and dupuytren’s contracture
- Removal of tumours of face and mouth
- Cosmetic surgeries like hair transplantation, liposuction, tummy tuck or abdominoplasty, rhinoplasty (nose surgery), breast augmentation, breast reduction, breast lift, nipple reconstruction and breast reconstruction after a mastectomy
- Male breast surgeries (gynaecomastia)
- Scar revisions and tattoo removal