The Department of Urology at Columbia Asia Hospitals offers a wide range of services for urological diseases. The consultants in the department are highly qualified and experienced in the latest techniques in the field, including laser surgery and minimally invasive techniques that enable a patient to return to their normal activity much quicker as compared to conventional techniques. In the last 5 years, the urology team at Columbia Asia Hospitals has performed more than 5000 laser procedures and more than 500 advanced laparoscopic procedures at Columbia Asia Hospitals. The department has handled complicated procedures including removal of a 6 cm stone from the kidney and removal of a 350 gm prostate.
At Columbia Asia Hospitals, we take pride in our consultants who follow evidence based medicine and internationally accepted protocols for management of urological illnesses.
The department is equipped with modern facilities and latest equipment to treat all urological disorders including general urology, uro-oncology, paediatric urology, female urology, neuro urology, andrology and other reconstructive procedures.
High definition image camera with xenon light source, LCD monitors, laparoscopic satinsky, laparoscopic staplers, lap ultrasound probe, sophisticated vascular applicators, harmonic scalpel, bipolar, vessel seal (ligasure) and argon plasma coagulator.
Urology back-up unit
- TRUS and biopsy kit / interventional kit
- Office cystoscopy unit
- Uro radiology table
- Urodynamic setup
- 500 mA X-ray
Salient features of urology treatment in India at Columbia Asia Hospitals
- Highly experienced team with more than 20 years of experience in treating urological ailments
- Performed over urological 5,000 procedures successfully
- Expertise in ‘100 watt holmium laser’ treatment for treating kidney stones
- In-house state-of-the-art medical and diagnostic equipment available, comparable to the latest technologies installed anywhere in the world.
- Specialise in using Holep technique for enlarged prostate & conducts trainings for urologists from across the globe.
- Set up collaborations with government institute in Maldives, Nigeria and Bangladesh
- English speaking doctors / nurses and other staff are capable in dealing with foreign patients.
- International standard healthcare services available at a fraction of what it might cost in Europe / USA
- Columbia Asia Hospital’s advanced minimally invasive laparoscopic urology provides several advantages over the traditional open surgery like lesser pain and blood loss, fewer complications, lesser scarring, shorter hospital stay and quicker recovery, lesser risk of infection, lesser chances of damaging health tissues and nerves that are involved in urinary control and sexual function, faster return to potency and continence among others.
Treatments and Procedures
Stone related disease
- PCNL (percutaneous nephrolithotomy surgery): For large and complex kidney stones by a small puncture wound through the skin.
- URS (ureterorenoscopy): A minimally invasive procedure that utilises a special telescope to visualise the urethra, bladder and ureter. It is used for diagnosis and treatment with a stone breaker or crusher or laser passed through the instrument.
- Flexible URS with laser lithotripsy (RIRS – retrograde intra renal surgery) is a procedure for surgery within the kidney using an endoscopic viewing tube. It is used for removing stones.
- Laparoscopic stone removal
- Transurethral crushing of the bladder stone
- Conventional TURP (trans urethral resection of the prostate) is performed by visualising the prostate through the urethra and removing the prostate tissue by electro-cautery or sharp dissection.
- Bipolar TURP uses bipolar current to remove the prostate tissue
- Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy
- TRUS (trans rectal ultrasonography of the prostate and related interventional procedures
- Minimally invasive treatment with VIU (visual internal urethrotomy) and plastic surgical repair for complex urethral stricture.
- Minimally invasive treatment with endoscopic ureteroplasty and laparoscopic correction.
- Evaluation, investigation and treatment of genitourinary cancers
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy
- Laparoscopic radical nephrectomy
- Laparoscopic partial nephrectomy
- Laparoscopic radical prostatectomy
- Radical cystectomy with neo bladder
- Trans urethral procedures for bladder cancers
- Flexible ureteroscopy for renal pelvic tumours
- Intravesical treatment for urothelial tumours
- Vesico vaginal fistula (VVF) repair is the sealing of the opening between the vagina and urinary bladder.
- Uretero vaginal fistula(UVF) repair is the sealing of the opening between the ureter and vagina.
- Recto vaginal fistula(RVF) repair is the sealing of the opening between the rectum and the vagina.
- Surgery for stress urinary incontinence(SUI) like tension free vaginal tape (TVT) or trans obturator tape(TOT), is for those women who leak because the mechanism for holding urine at the base of the bladder is weak.
- Surgery for cystocele with minimal invasive procedures like trans-vaginal tapes, mesh and as well as laparoscopic suspension techniques.
- Paediatric reconstructive urology including hypospadiasis repair, where the urinary opening is below the penis instead of the tip
- Paediatricuro – oncology is for cancers of the urogenital tract in children.
- Undescended testis correction by laparoscopic orchiopexy
- Laparoscopic pyeloplasty is done to relieve obstruction between the ureter and kidney
- Ureteric re-implantation : Open and laparoscopic is done to correct reflux of urine from the bladder into the ureter or kidney.
- Posterior valve fulguration is a method of correcting the reflux of urine due to abnormality of the posterior urethral valve.
- Paediatric percutaneous nephrolithotomy surgery (PCNL) for large kidneys
- Ureter reno scopy (URS) or retrograde intrarenal surgery (RIRS) for stone diseases
- Deflux for vesico ureteral reflux (VUR): Is the use of deflux gel in endoscopic injections to treat VUR
- Urethroplasty is an open surgical procedure for urethral reconstruction to treat stricture in the urethra with or without mucosa.
- Pyeloplasty is the surgical reconstruction or revision of the renal pelvis to drain and decompress the kidney and is done to treat an uretero pelvic junction obstruction.
Male reproductive health
- Testicular biopsy (percutaneous and open)
- Microsurgical varicocelectomy is done under high magnification microscope to repair varicocele, which is abnormal enlargement of the blood vessels draining testes, leading to infertility.
- Trans urethral resection of ejaculatory duct
- Vaso-vasostomy (vasectomy reversal), vaso-epididymostomy (VEA) for obstructive azoospermia
- Hypogonadism and other endocrinal evaluation
- Cryopreservation of sperms
- Electroejaculation for semen harvest
Male sexual health investigations
- Erectile dysfunction and its management with drugs, injections, vacuum devices, penile prosthesis implantation
- Retrograde ejaculation
- Premature ejaculation
- Peyronie’s disease and other disorders of penile curvature
- Ageing male (andropause) and late onset hypogonadism
- Sexually transmitted disease and other accessory sex gland infections
- Uroflowmetry and urodynamic studies for evaluation of neurological causes of voiding dysfunction and chronic pelvic pain syndromes.
Advanced endourology infrastructure
- Semi-rigid ureteroscope
- Flexible ureteroscope
- Flexible nephroscope
- Flexible cystoscope
- Conventional TURP set
- Bipolar TURP set
- Nephroscopes: Adult and paediatric unit
- Laser unit